I specialize in working with people that experience what we call "Sudden Wealth." Typically, the income came from one of these life events:
1) Accessing and Managing Retirement Assets
2) A Performance Contract (Typically a Sports or Entertainment Contract)
3) Divorce Settlement
4) Inheritance or Insurance Payout
5) Sale of a Business or Stock Options
6) A Personal Injury Settlement
I believe the unique nature of these events requires specialized professional experience, empathy and communication to deal with both the financial changes and the life changes that inevitably come with them.
3 Reasons You Should Consider Working With Me
#1 I Love Financial Planning—So You Don't Have To!
You do not have to love financial planners—or financial strategies—to love what a good one can do for you. I have extensive experience working with clients who are founders, have pre-IPO stock, have public company stock, and everything in between. This includes incentive stock options, non-qualified stock options, restricted stock, and other types of compensation.
My clients include:
- Those who simply do not know where to start or what questions to ask.
- Those with some investment or financial planning experience but know enough to see the value in working with an industry professional.
- Those who have a situation that is too complicated or time-consuming to navigate
My job is to help you understand your options so you can make informed decisions about what is best for your money, your family, your business and financial goals. The world of finance can be overwhelming, tricky, complicated, and fast-paced—and it is certainly not for everyone.
And that is exactly why hiring a financial professional like myself may be the best thing you can do for your sanity, your investments, and your future.
#2: When I Say I Specialize In Equity Compensation, I Mean It!
Before becoming a financial advisor, I was a senior manager with one of the fastest growing and successful data transmissions companies in the world. One of the benefits of my position was receiving annual stock options, and when we took the company public in 1991, it was an exciting time! To say that stock options represent life-changing financial windfalls would be an understatement. I know first-hand the benefits of this type of compensation, but also the risks and potential tax minefields depending on how they are managed.
I have several financial planning certifications meaning that I have taken the time to learn elements of financial planning so that you don't have to do it yourself. But I believe my real-world experience is my greatest asset, having managed small companies, large businesses and now as a 15-year veteran of the financial planning business. I love to learn and teach, and I believe my clients benefit from this style of advice that they get from me.
#3: Financial Planning Is More Than Just Crunching Numbers...It's Personal!
Financial planning is as much about living your best life as it is about money and the more you understand how your life goals and your finances relate to each other, the more successful you may be. I saw the benefits of planning first hand in June 2019, when I suddenly had an aneurysm in my leg while hiking at high altitude in Colorado. The subsequent surgeries and recovery were much less stressful for me and my family knowing I had my will, medical directives, business buy/sell agreement, life insurance and diversified investments all in place when we suddenly found ourselves dealing with an unexpected emergency...by the way, I am fine now!
So those are just a few areas where I can help you. As for me, beside being a financial planner, I am also a proud father, partner, business owner and a former track athlete and multiple marathon finisher (before all the years of pounding took their toll). I have the honor of doing what I love surrounded by people I love, and my goal is to help my clients find the time and financial freedom to do the same...minus all the math!
Areas Of Expertise:
- Equity Compensation Strategies For Business Owners & Executives
- Woman's Unique Financial Planning Needs
- Professional Athletes
- Investment/Asset Allocation Advice
- Estate Planning
- Risk Management
- Retirement Planning
- Women in Transition (divorced, widowed, changing jobs)
- Sports and Entertainment Professionals
- Corporate Executives
- Small Business Owners
Education / Certification
- Accredited Wealth Manager (AWMA), College of Financial Planning
- Certified Fund Specialist (CFS)
- Executive Program for Financial Planning Certification (CFP®), University of Georgia, Inaugural Class Graduate
- FIVE STAR Wealth Manager, Atlanta Magazine, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 Forbes Magazine, 2017*
- Listed as “One of the Advisors You Should Get To Know”, Wall Street Journal, 2015
- General Securities Representative, FINRA Series 7 Registration**
- Uniform Securities Agent, FINRA Series 63 Registration**
- Uniform Investment Advisor, FINRA Series 65 Registration**
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) Member
- Bachelor of Arts in Marketing, University of Alabama
- Currently working towards a Master of Science Degree in Financial Services
*Award based on 10 objective criteria associated with providing quality services to clients such as credentials, experience, and assets under management among other factors. Wealth managers do not pay a fee to be considered or placed on the final list of Five Star Wealth Managers.
** Registrations held with LPL Financial
All Investing involves risk including loss of principal. No strategy assures success or protects against a loss.